Last evening, Holy Cross Council’s team presented a First Degree, during which six new members were accepted into the Knights of Columbus. I was struck by the variety of life experiences the new members have brought to their councils:
- a young priest from Kuala Lumpur who is studying canon law at St Paul University
- a retired grandfather of Hispanic origin
- an employee of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
- a pediatrician who works at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- a military surgeon who recently returned from two tours of duty in Afghanistan
- a small business owner from Wendover
Everyone in the room identified, in their own way, with the words of the military surgeon: “I’ve seen the horrors of the battlefield and the good that people can do. I’m here to do all the good I can.” Amen to that.